Thursday, December 10, 2009

Don't they know it's Christmas time at all.....

This past weekend, some of my family and I went Christmas shopping downtown. This a family tradition of at least the past 10 years, but likely more. When I was in high school, I used to relish this weekend because it meant that I got to go to Urban Outfitters. Seriously. To really understand what this was like, you have to imagine a time when there weren't Urban Outfitters all over the place, but only in a few big cities. If I wanted to really go for it, I could browse Pacific Sunwear (where, regrettably, I did work one sad, lonely Christmas season), or perhaps the suburban mall staples: JC Penny, and Macy's. PLUS! Let us not forget Wet Seal. Oh how I could spend my babysitting money in two seconds flat between those walls. But Urban Outfitters was different. True, my parents did think it was a bit wild that a pair of jeans and a sweater could total up at $70 (in 1996!), but I think they understood that I was I in heaven, and to just let me be. So much variety! Everything was so cool. Well, now that I have been living in San Francisco for several years, I admit I don't feel that distinct thrill when walking into Urban Outfitters anymore. I can go there whenever I want; where is the fun in that? This weekend though, we went somewhere completely foriegn to me: Hermès.
Walking into this store was like stumbling into a WASP's nest. (see what I did there? mmmkay moving on....) Overhearing comely gay gentlemen discussing the strange loveliness of a Yak hair blanket. Browsing $400 glazed ashtrays. Lisa just had to try on a bracelet she spotted in one of the cases that caught her eye. When I remarked that it looked like a horse's bit, I realized how obviously the entire brand is designed around that very image. "Yes," the sales lady said politely, "...that is exactly what it is." Uh, right. Exactly. I guess you could say I felt a little out of my element. Until I saw these enamel bangles, which come in 3 different widths and a candy store assortment of colors and patterns. They are my new little fashion obsession. At $200-$600 dollars a piece, I think it is best to keep Looking....

No comments:

Post a Comment